Monday 7 November 2011

All Souls

On Sunday 30th October there was a special All Souls service at Edgbaston Old Church. The Vicar, Alison Joyce, had given Misho and me much spiritual support while Misho was in the nursing home. During the service, the names of all those attached to her church who had passed away during the year were read out and a candle for each one lit on the altar. It was very moving. So many names, so many candles. Sometimes you need a new perspective. It certainly gave me a glimpse into the working life of a vicar with so many people to support!
Alison read a very special piece during the service and kindly sent me the text afterwards. I found it a useful insight and hope you like it too. 

What is dying?’ by Bishop Brent

A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades on the horizon, and someone at my side says, ‘She is gone’.

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all; she is just as large as when I saw her … The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not in her; and just at the moment when someone at my side says ‘she is gone’, there are others who are watching her coming, and other voices take up a glad shout, ‘There she comes!’

And that is dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment